These chocolate covered rice krispie treats have a butterscotch swirl! You only need 9 ingredients to make these no-bake treats and they are extra gooey. The swirl on these treats makes them so fun!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails
This recipe was originally published in April 2021. It has since been updated with new images.
These gooey chocolate covered rice krispie treats are made with brown butter, which perfectly balances out the sweetness of the chocolate and the butterscotch!
These are the perfect no bake treats to make for bake sales as it makes 16 rice krispie squares.
Why you'll love these!
- Flavor: these marshmallow treats has a delicious chocolate and butterscotch topping, and they're then sprinkled with flaky sea salt. This combo gives you an amazing salty sweet taste.
- Texture: these rice krispy treats are super gooey because of all that marshmallow! They're chewy and soft.
- Ease: these treats are super simple to make and a beginner could give these a try.
- Time: this recipe only takes 15 minutes to make, but you will have to let them set for an hour in the fridge.
- Would I make these again? Definitely! This simple recipe is great for bake sales or holiday gatherings.
- Rice Krispie Cereal: you can use branded or generic grocery store rice krispies.
- Chocolate Chips: I used milk chocolate chips but you can also use dark chocolate chips if you prefer!
- Butterscotch Chips: I love having a butterscotch swirl, but if you prefer you can use white chocolate chips or just use chocolate.
- Marshmallows: these rice krispie treats are made with marshmallows, you can use regular sized marshmallows or mini marshmallows. Looking for a recipe with marshmallow fluff? Check out this recipe for rice krispie treats with marshmallow fluff!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Stir the butter until it has completely melted and it begins to brown.
Step 2: Add in the marshmallows, salt and vanilla extract. Stir over medium-low heat until the marshmallows melt completely, this will take a few minutes! Turn the heat off.
Step 3: Pour in the cereal and mix with a rubber spatula. Work quickly as the marshmallow will set!
Step 4: Pour this rice krispie mixture into an 8x8 baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Use the rubber spatula to gently press the mixture into the pan evenly.
Step 5: Melt the chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in the microwave, stopping every 15 seconds to stir so it doesn't burn. Once melted, pour over the rice krispies. Use an offset spatula to spread it over the cereal.
Step 6: Melt the butterscotch chips with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave, stopping every 15 seconds to stir. Once melted, use a spoon to dollop the butterscotch over the chocolate. Use a toothpick to swirl the butterscotch and chocolate together. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Feel free to swap out the butterscotch chips for caramel chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or just more chocolate chips!
- You don't want to burn the marshmallows, so make sure the heat is set to medium-low or even low heat. If you're using regular sized marshmallows it might take awhile for them to break down so be patient.
- Make sure the parchment paper is overhanging the sides of the baking pan, that'll make it easier to lift out the chocolate covered rice krispie treats!
- You can use a 9x9 baking pan if that's all you have, the treats will just be slightly thinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Double all of the ingredients and pour into a 9x13 inch pan.
Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can keep them for up to 4 days.
You can either melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are melting it in the microwave, make sure you stop the microwave every 15 seconds and stir. Otherwise it may burn!
Try these recipes next!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- 8x8 inch pan
- 4 ½ cups rice krispies
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 10 ounce bag marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- 3 teaspoon coconut oil
- flaky sea salt
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow the butter to brown, until small brown flakes appear at the bottom. Add the marshmallows, salt and vanilla and stir until melted - about 3 minutes
- Pour the marshmallows over the cereal and use a rubber spatula to stir together, evenly covering the cereal.
- Pour the cereal into your prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to gently press down and make the top even.
- Melt the chocolate and 2 teaspoon of coconut oil together in a microwave. Microwave in short bursts, stirring every 15 seconds, until smooth. Pour over the rice krispie treats and use an offset spatula to cover the cereal evenly.
- Melt the butterscotch chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave. Microwave again in short bursts, stirring every 15 seconds. Spoon dollops of the melted butterscotch on top of the chocolate. Use a wooden skewer or butter knife to swirl together.
- Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
- Place in the fridge for one hour, then cut into 16 squares.