These rice krispie treats are covered in a chocolate and butterscotch swirl. You only need 9 ingredients to make these no-bake treats and they are extra gooey!
Tell me about these treats!
- Flavor: these marshmallow treats has a delicious chocolate and butterscotch topping, and they’re then sprinkled with flaky sea salt. This combo gives you an amazing salty sweet taste.
- Texture: these rice krispy treats are super gooey because of all that marshmallow! They’re chewy and soft.
- Ease: these treats are super simple to make and a beginner could give these a try.
- Time: this recipe only takes 15 minutes to make, but you will have to let them set for an hour in the fridge.
- Would I make these again? Definitely! This simple recipe is great for bake sales or holiday gatherings.
Making the treats
These no bake treats are so simple to make, but let’s break down each step!
First make sure you line your baking pan with parchment paper, this will help it not stick.
Place your rice krispies in a large bowl. This is where you’re going to mix everything together.
In a medium saucepan brown your butter – the milk solids at the bottom of the pan will turn a golden brown. Add the marshmallows, salt and vanilla and stir until the marshmallows have melted.
Pour the marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies. Stir together to make sure all the cereal is covered in marshmallow.
Pour it into your pan and use an offset spatula to make sure the top is even.
In a small bowl microwave the chocolate chips with two teaspoons of coconut oil. The coconut oil will keep the chocolate shiny and stop it from crumbling when it is dry. Pour the melted chocolate over the rice krispies.
In a small bowl you can then microwave the butterscotch chips with the rest of the coconut oil. Drop dollops of the melted butterscotch over the chocolate, then use a knife to swirl it together. Sprinkle flaky salt over.
Put the pan in your fridge for at least one hour to set completely, then cut into 16 squares.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Double all of the ingredients and pour into a 9×13 inch pan.
Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can keep them for up to 4 days.
You can either melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are melting it in the microwave, make sure you stop the microwave every 15 seconds and stir. Otherwise it may burn.
Other bar recipes to try:
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @alpineella and leave a review below if you’ve made these bars! If you want more baking ideas, you can follow me on Pinterest.
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- 8×8 inch pan
- 135 grams rice krispies
- 56 grams unsalted butter
- 283 grams marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 265 grams chocolate chips
- 85 grams butterscotch chips
- 3 teaspoon coconut oil
- flaky sea salt
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow the butter to brown, until small brown flakes appear at the bottom. Add the marshmallows, salt and vanilla and stir until melted – about 3 minutes
- Pour the marshmallows over the cereal and use a rubber spatula to stir together, evenly covering the cereal.
- Pour the cereal into your prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to gently press down and make the top even.
- Melt the chocolate and 2 teaspoon of coconut oil together in a microwave. Microwave in short bursts, stirring every 15 seconds, until smooth. Pour over the rice krispie treats and use an offset spatula to cover the cereal evenly.
- Melt the butterscotch chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave. Microwave again in short bursts, stirring every 15 seconds. Spoon dollops of the melted butterscotch on top of the chocolate. Use a wooden skewer or butter knife to swirl together.
- Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
- Place in the fridge for one hour, then cut into 16 squares.
Leave a Reply