Get ready for the ultimate childhood favorite treat - m&m rice krispie treats! These sticky, gooey squares of marshmallow goodness use just 6 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Plus, it's a no bake recipe!
Who else has nostalgic memories of rice krispie treats after school? While testing out my rice krispie treat recipe, I've made sure it is just as gooey and delicious as I remember them being as a kid!
These m&m rice krispie treats are based off my chocolate covered rice krispie treats, so still a simple and easy recipe that you can quickly whip up! Plus, you don't need any fancy equipment or the need to spend hours in the kitchen. Make a batch of these for your next family gathering, bake sale or potluck and you'll be a hero - and I promise I won't tell anyone how simple they are to make!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- These rice krispie treats with m&ms need just 6 simple ingredients - I bet you already have most of them in your pantry!
- By adding mini m&ms we're bringing a pop of color and a burst of chocolatey goodness to this classic treat!
- The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to set! But trust me, the wait is worth it.
- I've used marshmallows for these rice krispie treats, but I have an alternative if you don't have marshmallows on hand.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: of course, you'll need some rice krispies for this recipe! You can use off brand like I did here.
- Butter: we're going to brown the butter to get a real flavor boost.
- Vanilla Extract: try to use the best vanilla extract you can get your hands on!
- Salt: you always need a little bit of salt in desserts - trust me!
- Mini m&ms: I used mini m&ms for this recipe, but you can use regular sized ones or seasonal ones depending on the holiday!
- Marshmallows: you can use regular or mini marshmallows.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. It should then begin to sputter and foam, then eventually you'll have small flakes of brown - this is the dairy solids browning! This is going to give you so much more flavor.
Step 2: Add the marshmallows, salt and vanilla extract. Stir over medium-low heat until melted. Take the saucepan off the heat.
Step 3: Pour in the cereal and mix so the cereal is evenly covered in the marshmallow mixture. Gently stir in the m&ms. You don't want to stir too much as the color might bleed.
Step 4: Pour the rice krispie treat mixture into a lined 8x8-inch baking pan. Gently pat the mixture down so the surface is even, and feel free to sprinkle more m&ms! Let set for at least 2 hours before removing and slicing.
Baking Tips & Tricks
- Lining the Pan: Make sure when you line the pan that the parchment paper is slightly overhanging. This will make it easier to lift out once the m&m rice krispie treats have set!
- Let them Cool: Allow the m&m rice krispie treats to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. You need them to set completely, otherwise they'll be difficult to slice and might fall apart.
- Browning the Butter: If you don't want to brown the butter, feel free to just melt it in the saucepan. But browning the butter is going to make these rice krispie squares so much more flavorful!
- Adding m&ms: Take the saucepan off the stove and add the cereal, then add the m&ms. If you add the m&ms while the pan is still on the heat, it might be too hot and could melt the candies!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure thing! Feel free to use regular sized m&ms, or use seasonal m&ms for Halloween, Fourth of July, Christmas and Valentine's Day!
I have a rice krispie treat recipe that uses marshmallow fluff here, so you can use that and just add m&ms to it instead!
Nope, you can use mini marshmallows or regular sized marshmallows. Just note that the regular sized ones will take slightly longer to melt.
I recommend storing these m&m rice krispie treats in an airtight container for up to 4 days - if they even last that long in your household!
Try these no bake recipes next!
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 8x8 inch pan
- 4 cups rice krispies
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 10 ounce bag marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini m&ms
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set to the side.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Allow the butter to brown, until small brown flakes appear at the bottom. Add the marshmallows, salt and vanilla and stir until melted - about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- Pour the marshmallows over the cereal and use a rubber spatula to stir together, evenly covering the cereal. Work quickly as the marshmallow will begin to set!
- Stir in the mini m&ms, do this gently as you don't want the color to bleed.
- Pour the cereal into your prepared pan. Use an offset spatula or rubber spatula to gently press down and make the top even. You can sprinkle over extra mini m&m's if you wish.
- Place in the fridge for one hour, then cut into 16 squares.