These rice krispie treats with marshmallow fluff are a classic dessert! Made with just 5 ingredients, these rice krispie squares are made with marshmallow fluff instead of marshmallows. These gooey treats take just 15 minutes to prepare!
These rice krispie treats with marshmallow fluff are a family favorite! These rice krispie squares are perfect for bake sales, after school snacks and birthday parties!
I usually use marshmallows in my rice krispie treats, like my chocolate covered rice krispie treats, but once in awhile I don't have any bags of marshmallows left - but I do have a jar of marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- You only need 5 ingredients to make these marshmallow fluff rice krispie treats!
- These are made in just 1 pan, so you don't even need to take any bowls out.
- They're made with brown butter which balances the sweetness of the marshmallow fluff.
- I've kept these rice krispie squares plain, but you can add sprinkles or chocolate chips!
- Rice krispie cereal: I used Kellogg's brand but you can also use a generic grocery version!
- Marshmallow Fluff: you'll want to use a whole 7 ounce jar for this!
- Vanilla Extract: make sure you use a high quality vanilla extract.
- Kosher Salt: you always need a bit of salt added to desserts, including these!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Place your butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Let the butter melt, then once melted brown the butter. It will start to foam and sputter, then the milk solids will turn light brown (you can see that in the image above!).
Step 2: Add the marshmallow fluff, vanilla extract and salt. Stir everything together over low heat, it will take a few minutes for it to completely combine. Turn off the heat.
Step 3: Add the rice krispies cereal to the pan and use the spatula to stir everything together. You want to make sure all the cereal is coated in the marshmallow mixture! Pour the marshmallow cereal into an 8x8 baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
Step 4: Let the mixture rest for 2 hours, or at least 1 hour. Lift them out of the pan with the paper and slice into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- This marshmallow fluff mixture is EXTRA sticky. I recommend using two rubber spatulas to get it out of the jar and then add to the saucepan!
- It might seem like the butter isn't combining with the marshmallow fluff, but give it a few minutes and stir continuously. It will come together as one!
- Add in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips once you've added in the cereal!
- Work quickly once you've combined the cereal with the marshmallow mixture as it will start to set.
- If you only have a 9x9 pan you can use that, just note that the bars will be thinner!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can, just double the ingredients and use a 9x13 pan instead of an 8x8 pan.
Nope, you don't need any marshmallows in this recipe! Just marshmallow fluff.
Because we aren't using melted marshmallows these rice krispie treats aren't as sticky as regular treats. They also aren't as firm and feel a bit lighter when biting into them!
I recommend storing the sliced rice krispie bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Try these recipes next!
Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 8x8 baking pan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups rice krispie cereal
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Take a medium saucepan and place over medium-low heat on the stove. Add your butter and stir until melted. You then want to brown the butter, so lower the heat to low and stir occasionally. It should foam and sputter, and then you'll see small white pieces which are the milk solids. Let these turn a light brown and it should smell toasted and nutty.3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add in the marshmallow fluff, vanilla extract and salt. Use a rubber spatula to combine it with the butter over low heat. Keep stirring until it is completely combined.7 oz marshmallow fluff, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Take the pan off the heat and pour in the rice krispie cereal. Use the rubber spatula to stir, making sure all of the cereal is covered in the melted marshmallow fluff.5 cups rice krispie cereal
- Pour this mixture into your prepared pan. Use the rubber spatula to even out the top. Let it rest for 2 hours, then you can lift it out of the pan and slice into squares.