Get ready for the festive holiday season with these super simple puff pastry cinnamon twists! Use ready made puff pastry to make this easy treat which only take 10 minutes to prepare and just 6 ingredients.
I love having a quick recipe like this up my sleeve for the Christmas season. If you’re looking for a savory version, how about my gruyere and prosciutto puff pastry twists?
Tell me about this recipe!
- These twists use ready made puff pastry. Look, as much as I love making my own homemade versions of things, I will definitely not be making my own puff pastry! Keep some sheets of puff pastry in the fridge for quick snacks like this.
- The pastry is brushed with melted butter before being covered in a cinnamon and cardamom sugar.
- The twists are then baked for 10-12 minutes until golden.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Spices: I use a combination of cinnamon and cardamom, though feel free to use just cinnamon if you don’t have cardamom or don’t like it!
- Puff Pastry: ready made puff pastry is used in this recipe, be sure to take it out of the fridge 15-20 minutes before starting the recipe so it doesn’t crack when you unroll it.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Whisk the sugar, cinnamon and cardamom together until everything is well incorporated. Set aside. Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper, then preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2: Make sure to take out your puff pastry 15-20 minutes before baking so it doesn’t crack when you roll out the pastry. Roll out your puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and use a pastry brush to brush over your melted butter.
Step 3: Sprinkle over your cinnamon sugar and use your hands to lightly press it into the butter.
Step 4: Fold one of the long sides over so it is folded in half. Use a pizza or pastry cutter to slice it into 12 sections.
Step 5: Take one of the strips and hold each end, then gently twist it – some cinnamon sugar will come out and that’s fine! Pull gently to make the twists a bit longer and place on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the other 11 strips.
Step 6: Bake for 14-15 minutes until the twists are golden brown.
- Make sure to pull out your puff pastry at least 15-20 minutes before starting this recipe. If the puff pastry is too cold, it might crack when you unroll it. If it does crack, use your fingers to patch up the dough!
- If you find your cinnamon sugar isn’t sticking to the melted butter, once you fold over the dough use a rolling pin to gently press into the dough. This will help the cinnamon sugar stick to the dough a bit better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days, though they do taste better on the day of.
Use vegan puff pastry and vegan butter to make these cinnamon puff pastry twists vegan.
Try these simple recipes next!
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Twists
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pull out your puff pastry at least 15 minutes before starting so it can come to room temperature and not crack when unrolled.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C and line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together your sugar and spices in a small bowl.
- Place your sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Use a pastry brush to brush your melted butter all over the pastry.
- Sprinkle over your cinnamon sugar and lightly press it into the butter with your hands.
- Fold the dough in half from the long side, then use a pizza cutter to cut it into 12 strips. Take both ends of one strip and gently twist – don't worry if some cinnamon sugar comes out! Place on your parchment paper and then repeat with the other strips.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until a light golden brown.