Hi, I'm Ella! I'm the recipe developer, food photographer, baker, dish washer and taste tester at Alpine Ella.
From the beginning..
I've been immersed in the world of baking for as long as I can remember. My earliest memory is of receiving my very first Easy-Bake Oven, only to be disappointed by the lackluster mix that came with it! I thought "I can create something better than this!" (spoiler alert: my first homemade recipe turned out to be more of a choclate omelette - not exactly an improvement!)
Throughout high school, my passion for baking continued to flourish. When I left for university in London, the very first item on my shopping list was a trusty stand mixer (that I still use today!). During those initial years, I worked on my baking skills by experimenting with recipes from renowed blogs like Joy the Baker and Smitten Kitchen, as well as exploring every baking cookbook I could lay my hands on.
I did baking and cooking classes in the evening and weekends. I learnt how to decorate cupcakes at Peggy Porschen of London, took an ultimate baking workshop at Bread Ahead and made an Italian feast at La Cucina Caldesi!
Once I started my professional career in corporate settings, one job brought an unexpected twist - a workplace Bake Off! To top it off, the final showdown was judged by none other than Frances Quinn, a former Great British Bake Offf champion. I emerged victorious that year, all thanks to my salted caramel peanut macarons.
At the beginning of 2020 I realised I wanted to leave the corporate world and do something more creative - and something that was my own! I enrolled in a food photography course and in July 2020 I took a leap of faith and launched Alpine Ella.
What you'll find at Alpine Ella
- I focus on creating comforting and indulgent baking recipes that you can make at home. I've tested these in my kitchen and help you by providing step-by-step pictures, videos and detailed instructions!
- Recipes for the beginner as well as the more advanced baker! There is something here for everyone, whether it's a simple rice krispie treat recipe or a more complex babka!
- Recipes come in metric and US cup measurements, and each recipe has been tested multiple times.
- I provide frequently asked questions and top tips to help you in the kitchen as well as substitutions where possible. I want to make sure whatever you cook or bake in your kitchen is a success!
- I have an email newsletter where you can find out about new recipes first, so sign up!
Facts about me!
- I started this blog when lockdown first happened! This gave me time to learn all about photography and how to build a website.
- I will eat dessert every single day - it might be a slice of cake or it might be a square of chocolate - I just can't have dinner without dessert after!
- I have been making my own recipes since I first got an easy bake oven as a kid - sorry mom and dad, I think those first few cakes weren't too good!
- When I'm not developing recipes or photographing them, I love to cross-stitch, craft, and read.
More about me!
I'm originally from Switzerland, and grew up at the bottom of the Swiss mountains. When trying to come up with a name for my Instagram account, my mom suggested Alpine Ella and it stuck!
That would be me! Along with making the recipes, I love the food photography aspect of running this food blog. I use a Canon DSLR and a 50mm lens to take all the photos you see here.
Since I don't have any specific dietary requirements, I don't tend to make vegan or gluten free dessert recipes. If there are substitutions that you can make in a recipe, I will let you know in the blog post and recipe card!
You can also listen to Ella on the Eat Blog Talk podcast!
Ella's Favorite Recipes
Logo by Josephine Reed Design