If you’re looking for a super easy, no-bake recipe then this is the one! A delicious mix of sweet and salty, with chopped up peanut butter cups and pretzels, these rice krispie treats are perfect after school snack (or after work snack, after dinner snack, the list goes on). They only take 12 minutes to prep and are so delicious.
Tell me about this recipe!
- This is a really simple recipe but you will need to move quickly once you get going, so the melted marshmallow doesn’t set before you press it into your pan.
- Butter is browned before adding marshmallows, then mixing in the rice krispie cereals, chopped pretzels and chopped peanut butter cups.
- Melted peanut butter is swirled in with the mixture, giving you thick ribbons of peanut butter throughout the treats.
- You’ll need to let the bars sit for about 2 hours before you can cut them into squares.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Brown butter browning the butter for this recipe gives you a nuttier, toastier taste!
- Add ins I added chopped up peanut butter cups and pretzels for a salty sweet combo! You could mix in your favourite candy bars, I think m&ms could be a fun addition
- Peanut Butter you want to use the more processed peanut butter here, like Skippy peanut butter. A natural peanut butter will make the rice krispie treats oilier.
How to make this recipe
One: In a large bowl, mix together the cereal, pretzels and peanut butter cups.
Two: In a small saucepan melt your butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, increase the heat slightly and allow the butter to bubble until it browns. The white milk solids should turn a light brown, it should smell nutty and toasted.
Three: Add in your marshmallows, vanilla extract and salt. Continue cooking over medium-low heat until the marshmallows melt completely.
Four: While the marshmallows are melting, microwave your peanut butter for 20-30 seconds until it is soft and melted.
Five: Working quickly, pour the melted marshmallow into the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to make sure all of the cereal is covered in marshmallow. Follow with the peanut butter, but don’t fold too much – you want there to be ribbons of peanut butter throughout.
Six: In a lined 8×8 pan, pour the mixture into the pan. Use a small offset spatula to make the top even. You can leave them plain or lightly press more pretzels and peanut butter cups. Let sit for 2 hours before cutting.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- Butter: I use European style butter, like Kerry Gold, in my recipes. This will make your finished bake much creamier and richer.
- Salt: If you don’t have kosher salt, halve the amount of salt called for in the recipe. 1 teaspoon kosher salt = ½ teaspoon fine salt.
- Melt chocolate and more peanut butter, drizzle on top of your bars before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
The key to this recipe is using peanut butter like Jif or Sun-Pat – you basically want that super smooth, not so wholesome peanut butter (which is usually the opposite of what I would say). You’ll want to melt it in the microwave for 15 second bursts, or in a small saucepan.
Don’t overmix the peanut butter with the cereal! We want rivers of peanut butter running through the bars, instead of completely mixing it in with the cereal.
Be gentle when patting down the cereal when you’ve poured it into the pan. If you press too hard you’ll compress the cereal, instead of a chewy, marshmallowy bar you’ll get a hard and crunch one!
I let mine set for 2 hours before cutting, but 1 hour should be plenty.
Yes! Double all the ingredients and pour into a 9×13 pan.
Other Bar Recipes To Try:
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @alpineella and leave a review below if you’ve made these treats! If you want more baking ideas, you can follow me on Pinterest
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 8×8 pan
- 135 grams rice krispies
- 56 grams unsalted butter
- 283 grams marshmallows
- 113 grams peanut butter melted
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40 grams pretzels chopped
- 55 grams peanut butter cups chopped
- Line a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Cut your peanut butter cups and pretzels into ½ inch segments. Pour into a large bowl with the rice krispies.
- In a microwave, melt the peanut butter for 20-30 seconds
- Place butter in a large saucepan and melt. Allow the butter to begin to brown, with small brown flakes at the bottom. Add the marshmallows, vanilla and salt and stir until melted, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the butter marshmallow mixture over the cereal, and then add melted peanut butter. Fold, but you don’t want to over mix as we still want thick swirls of peanut butter in the mix
- Pour into the prepared pan. Using a spatula, gently press down. Don’t press down too hard or they’ll be too compact
- Let sit at room temperature for at least two hours then slice
Leave a Reply