If you're looking for a super chocolatey, gooey and warm mug cake, this is it! This hot cocoa mug cake features a delicious marshmallow topping, just like a real hot chocolate. It only takes 5 minutes to make from start to finish, and no eggs are required in this recipe.
As much as I love having a big slice of a layer cake, like this oreo drip cake, sometimes I just want a single serving of a dessert without any of the fuss. Especially with the colder weather now, I love cozying up with a mug cake!
Tell me about this recipe!
- This simple hot cocoa mug cake can be made straight in the mug, no bowls required. Minimal cleanup always works for me!
- All you need to do is whisk your dry ingredients together, then add your wet ingredients.
- It is perfectly portioned for one, but you can easily double the recipe to make a bigger mug cake or make two at the same time.
- It's has a marshmallow baked inside and is topped with another marshmallow, but you can leave out the marshmallow if you just want it to be chocolate.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Flour: I'm using regular all purpose flour in this recipe
- Oil: make sure you use a neutral oil, like vegetable, canola or rapeseed. This is going to make your mug cake super fluffy and moist!
- Cocoa Powder: this recipe uses a Dutch processed cocoa powder. Not sure what cocoa powder you have? Check the ingredients! If it mentions ‘alkali’ or ‘acidity regulators’, then you have dutch process cocoa powder.
- Marshmallows: you can also use mini marshmallows if that's what you have on hand!
How to make this recipe
Step 1: While I've shown these images in a jug, you can also make this straight in the mug if you wish. But this will make it easier if you're making more than one mug cake at a time or if you want the marshmallow in the middle! Whisk together all of the dry ingredients until there are no more lumps.
Step 2: Add in your wet ingredients, folding to make sure there are no pockets of flour left.
Step 3: Pour about half of the batter in the mug then place one marshmallow.
Step 4: Pour the rest of the batter in, covering the marshmallow. You can place another marshmallow on top if you wish! Place in your microwave and cook for 1:30 to 2 minutes. Note, this completely depends on your microwave! It may take less time or longer.
- Baking times in the microwave will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave, so please keep that in mind when cooking the mug cake! The higher the watts, the faster it will cook.
- If you add the marshmallow in the middle and on top before cooking, they will melt in the microwave. If you don't want melted marshmallows then just add them when you're finished.
- Choose your mug wisely. The batter shouldn't fill up more than half of the mug, otherwise it will overflow when it's cooking. Also make sure your mug is microwave safe!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Because you're microwaving the batter, you're heat treating the flour making it safe to eat. And since there are no eggs in this recipe, this mug cake is safe to eat.
I have only tested this recipe in the microwave.
Ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate chips - there are so many ways to customize your perfect mug cake!
Try these quick and easy recipes next!
Hot Cocoa Mug Cake
- 1 mug
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 marshmallows
- In a jug or small bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour in the wet ingredients and whisk, making sure there are no flour pockets left and the batter is smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into your mug, then place a marshmallow in the middle. Pour the rest of the batter over it. You don't want the batter to take up over half of the mug, otherwise it will overflow in the microwave. Place another marshmallow on top.
- Cook in your microwave for 1-2 minutes, might took about a minute and a half to cook on high but please note that microwaves vary on the wattage.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes then eat!