There is nothing better to me than homemade buttermilk waffles! These simple buttermilk waffles need just 11 ingredients and take less than 10 minutes to prepare. Create your own waffle board with all the best toppings for the holidays!
When I have a bit more time I love making overnight brioche cinnamon rolls, but if I don’t have the time to make those then these waffles are my go to breakfast for when we have company over! This is such a fun waffle board to make for Christmas breakfast.
Tell me about this recipe!
- These fluffy waffles are made with simple ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- It only takes 8 minutes to prepare the waffle batter, then grease your waffle maker before pouring in the batter.
- Gather all of your favorite waffle toppings! For me that included sliced bananas, sprinkles, whipped cream and maple syrup.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post
- Buttermilk: This is what will make your waffles soft and fluffy! If you don’t have any, you can substitute in regular milk and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar for every cup of milk needed. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it has curdled.
- Spices: I added some cinnamon and nutmeg to my waffles, it isn’t enough to overpower the waffles but you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Butter: I always use European style butter, like KerryGold, in my recipes. European style butter has a higher butterfat content which makes it richer and creamier than American butter.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Whisk together all of your dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Plug in your waffle maker so it can heat up. Lightly grease the waffle maker.
Step 2: Whisk your wet ingredients in a jug until it is completely smooth.
Step 3: Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Make sure there are no pockets of flour and everything is incorporated.
Step 4: Pour half a cup of batter into your waffle iron and cook until golden and crisp (the time needed depends on your waffle maker!). Serve the waffles immediately with your favorite toppings.
Here is just a short list of the waffle toppings you can add to your waffle board!
- Chopped Nuts
- Whipped Cream
- Maple Syrup
- Chocolate Chips
- Sliced fruit like bananas or strawberries
- Spreads like Nutella or peanut butter
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- I make sure that all of my ingredients are at room temperature before I start the recipe, so pull out all of the ingredients before you get started on the recipe.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, for every cup of buttermilk needed mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes until it has curdled.
- Do you want crispy waffles? These waffles are soft and fluffy, but if you want them to be crispy then pop them in the toaster after they’ve been made.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can. Make the waffles and let them cool completely, then keep in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to 4 days. The best way to reheat them is to pop them in the toaster!
Belgian waffles are made with a yeast based batter while buttermilk waffles rise with the help of baking soda and baking powder.
Other than the list of toppings above, add some savory elements like bacon and eggs, or slightly healthier sides of fruit salad!
Try these breakfast recipes next!
Have you made this recipe? Make sure to tag me on Instagram @alpineella and leave a review below if you have! If you want more baking ideas, you can follow me on Pinterest.
Buttermilk Waffle Board
- waffle maker
- 240 grams all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 25 grams sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 84 grams unsalted butter melted
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 397 ml buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- banana sliced
- maple syrup
- whipped cream
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- Plug in your waffle maker to heat up and lightly grease it.
- Whisk together your dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a large jug, whisk the wet ingredients together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold it together until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour your waffle batter into your waffle maker, about ¼-½ cup per waffle, and cook until golden. Serve immediately with the toppings.
I made it with the US measurements. It was delicious
Thank you for your review, so glad you enjoyed it!