This homemade strawberry shortcake crumble topping is the perfect thing to sprinkle on ice cream, cupcakes, frosted cookies and cheesecake! This is a no bake topping and only takes minutes to prepare.
Do you remember those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars? This is just like the outside of the ice cream bar but a homemade version!
This is really similar to the topping on my strawberry crunch cheesecake! It doesn't use gelatin,strawberry jello or vanilla pudding mix, and instead uses freeze-dried strawberries! I think using freeze-dried strawberries gives a sweet strawberry flavor which is exactly what I want with strawberry shortcake crumble!
Why you'll love this strawberry shortcake crumble topping
- It only takes 5 minutes to prepare the entire recipe!
- It uses just 4 ingredients
- You can use it in so many ways - sprinkle on top of ice cream, frosted sugar cookies, no bake cheesecake, on top of frosted cupcakes!
- This recipe is naturally pink due to the freeze dried strawberries, so no need for pink food coloring!
- This is a no bake recipe so it's great when you're short on time or it's hot out and you don't want to use the oven.
Butter: I always use unsalted butter in my recipes, this way you can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
Golden Oreos: you can use regular golden Oreo cookies or double stuffed golden Oreos.
Salt: I am using kosher salt
Freeze Dried Strawberries: instead of using fresh strawberries, I use freeze dried strawberries. You can find these online, at Target and at Trader Joe's. Make sure you are using freeze dried and not frozen!
Step by Step Instructions
You'll need a food processor or a blender, and then a large mixing bowl.
Step 1: In a food processor or blender, blend together the golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries until you have a coarse crumb.
Step 2: Pour the crumbs into a large bowl and pour in your melted butter and your salt. Mix everything together with a spoon until all the crumbs are evenly moist.
Store in an airtight container or sprinkle over whatever you wish! This makes 1.5 cups of topping.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- If you find your topping isn't as moist as you would like, add more melted butter a tablespoon at a time.
- If you don't have a food processor or blender, place the cookies and strawberries in a ziplock bag. Crush them using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Keep your finished strawberry crunch topping in an airtight container, otherwise it might go stale!
- Make sure the strawberry and Oreo crumbles are fine enough, you shouldn't have large pieces of cookies and freeze dried strawberries and instead want small crumbles.
- Sprinkle this topping on mascarpone no bake cheesecake, strawberry filled cupcakes, a layer cake or frosted sugar cookies!
Frequently Asked Questions
This strawberry shortcake topping is made of just 4 ingredients - melted butter, salt, golden Oreos and freeze dried strawberries.
Keep it in an airtight container for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Try these strawberry recipes next!
Strawberry Shortcake Crumble
- 1 food processor
- 12 golden Oreos
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- In a food processor or blender, blend together the golden Oreo cookies and freeze dried strawberries until you have coarse crumbs. The cookies should be in very small pieces and you shouldn't have large pieces left.
- Pour the mixture into a large or medium bowl and pour over the melted butter and salt. Mix everything together until the crumbs are evenly moist. This makes 1 ½ cups.
- Sprinkle on top of cakes, cupcakes, frosted cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream!