To me, these peppermint bark cookies are the holidays in a cookie! These extra chocolate-y cookies are dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. They only take 12 minutes to prep!
For me, Christmas time equals cookie time! I love nothing more than a cookie plate with these peppermint bark cookies alongside these chocolate gingerbread cookies.
This post was originally published in December 2020 but has been updated with new content.
Tell me about this recipe!
- These double chocolate chip cookies are made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, giving you an extra hit of chocolate
- Once the cookies are completely cool, they’re dipped in a mixture of white chocolate and coconut oil. The coconut oil stops the white chocolate from hardening too much and cracking.
- As the white chocolate is drying, they’re sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Dark Chocolate this cookie recipe is PACKED with chopped chocolate, so be sure to use the best chocolate you can find
- White Chocolate the cookies are dipped in white chocolate, be sure to use a white chocolate that has cocoa butter in it
- Candy Canes of course we need candy canes! If you can’t find them though you could also use crushed peppermint candies
How to make this recipe
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk your flour and cocoa powder together. Add in your chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. Keep a handful of the chopped chocolate to the side though!
Step 2: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, both sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl!
Step 3: Add in your egg and beat until smooth.
Step 4: Pour in your dry ingredients and mix on low until everything is combined. Scoop out 2 tablespoon portions and roll each cookie into a ball. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Flatten each ball into a disc and place the reserved chocolate on top of each disc. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. While cooling, melt your white chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave. Dip each cookie into the white chocolate then sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- To make your cookies perfectly round, once the cookies are fresh out of the oven use a large round cookie cutter or large glass and place over each cookie. Gently scoot the cookie cutter round for a few seconds to help make the cookie perfectly round.
- Don’t overbake these cookies, otherwise they’ll end up being dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
The coconut oil will stop the white chocolate from hardening too much and cracking after it has dried on the cookies.
Yes! Freeze the unbaked cookie dough balls in a freezer bag and keep for up to 3 months. You may have to bake them for a few more minutes compared to the fresh cookie dough.
Keep the cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Try these Christmas cookies next!
Have you made this recipe? Make sure to tag me on Instagram @alpineella and leave a review below if you have! If you want more baking ideas, you can follow me on Pinterest.
Peppermint Bark Cookies
- 400 grams dark chocolate chopped or chips
- 170 grams flour
- 170 grams cocoa powder
- 226 grams unsalted butter room temperature
- 226 grams light brown sugar
- 205 grams granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 285 grams white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 candy cane crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take chopped chocolate and place a handful to the side. Take the rest of the chopped chocolate and put in a medium bowl. Toss in a bowl with flour and cocoa powder.
- Combine butter, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on low, then increase to medium and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. While mixer is running, add egg. Once smooth, reduce speed to low and add the flour/chocolate mixture
- Scoop out into 2 tablespoon portions. Flatten each cookie into a disc, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Press the reserved chopped chocolate into each cookie and pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 13-15 minutes and let cool completely
- In a microwavable bowl, combine white chocolate and coconut oil. Melt in short 20 second bursts, stirring between each one. Dip each cookie into the white chocolate then sprinkle with candy canes.
Really enjoyed these, was a hit with the kids too!
Best chocolate cookie I have ever made! Then with the white chocolate and peppermint AMAZING !!!