This might possibly be the best peanut butter oatmeal m&m cookies EVER! These super soft and chewy oatmeal cookies are mixed with lots of peanut butter and loaded with m&m candy. They take just 10 minutes to prepare.
I absolutely love an oatmeal cookie, give me a brown butter craisin oatmeal cookie any day of the week! This cookie is really similar but made with regular butter and has peanut butter swirled in the cookie dough.
Tell me about this recipe!
- The oatmeal cookie dough is lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Butter is creamed with light brown sugar and granulated sugar, giving you a soft and chewy cookie!
- I recommend chilling the cookies for 45 minutes beforehand as it is a sticky dough.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Oats: make sure you are using whole, rolled oats – not quick cooking oats. Those oats will be too dry and powdery and your cookie won’t have the same texture.
- Butter: I always use European style butter, like Kerry Gold, for my cookies! The higher butterfat content will make your cookies much richer.
- Peanut Butter: feel free to use smooth or crunchy peanut butter for this. You don’t want to use peanut butter which has a layer of oil on top, that peanut butter may be too loose for this and the cookies will spread.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk your flour with your cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
Step 2: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, cream your butter until it is very creamy.
Step 3: Add both of your sugars and your peanut butter and whip together for another two minutes. Make sure to scrape the side and bottom of the bowl so all the butter gets mixed in.
Step 4: Add in your eggs and vanilla extract, beating again for another minute.
Step 5: Pour in your flour mixture and mix on low until it is combined.
Step 6: Add in your oats and M&Ms and fold it all together. Chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie trays with parchment paper. Use a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the peanut butter oatmeal m&m cookie dough and place them 3-4 inches apart on the cookie tray. Bake for 13-14 minutes.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake
- Want to make your peanut butter oatmeal m&m cookies perfectly round? Once your cookies are out of the oven, use a large circular cookie cutter and place it over the cookie. Scoot the cutter around gently, this will smooth out any edges and make your cookies perfectly round.
- Be sure to use whole rolled oats and not quick cooking oats. Using quick cooking oats will make your cookies too dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
While these cookies are made with whole oats, they are still cookies with butter and sugar!
Keep in a tupperware at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Once you’ve scooped out the cookie dough balls, place them in a freezer bag and freeze. When you’re ready to bake, place in the oven and bake for an extra minute or two.
Swap out m&ms for chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, chopped pretzels – anything you like! I think it’s fun to use chocolate candy in the colors for whatever holiday you’re celebrating.
Try these cookies next!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal M&M Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup m&ms
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or using a hand held mixer, cream the butter for 2-3 minutes until it is very creamy.
- Add your two sugars and peanut butter and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the dough and mix for another minute. Make sure you scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to get all the dough mixed properly.
- Add flour mixture to the butter and mix on a low setting until it is thoroughly combined. Fold in your oats and m&ms. The dough is going to be very sticky, so place in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out the dough and make sure you have 3-4 inches between each cookie. Bake them 6 at a time on your cookie sheets for 13-14 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to chill for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.