These chocolate chip sugar cookies are stuffed with all the chocolate chips and only take 12 minutes to make! Plus, you only need 8 ingredients. Get ready for this super simple and delicious cookie recipe.
As much as I love a chocolate chip cookie made with brown sugar (like these butterscotch chocolate chip cookies), sometimes you just can’t beat a sugar cookie! These cookies don’t have any brown sugar in them, so no fear if you’re run out!
Tell me about this recipe!
- These cookies need a bit of chilling time to give you thick and fluffy cookies. I promise you it is so worth it!
- These sugar cookies are made with just granulated sugar, no brown sugar needed in this recipe.
- I made my cookies with chocolate chips but you can also add sprinkles to the dough before baking.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Flour: use all purpose flour for these cookies
- Chocolate Chips: feel free to use any kind of chocolate like bittersweet, semisweet or unsweetened. I love using dark chocolate chips to balance out the sweetness!
- Butter: I always use European style butter, like KerryGold, for my baking. European style butter has a higher butterfat content which makes it richer and creamier.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Whisk your flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
Step 2: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream your butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes until it is soft and creamy.
Step 3: Add your egg and vanilla extract and beat again until it is completely incorporated, about one minute.
Step 4: Pour in your dry ingredients and mix on low, or with a rubber spatula, making sure there are no more streaks of flour.
Step 5: Fold in your chocolate chips, and sprinkles if you’re using them.
Step 6: Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll each one into a ball. Place on a plate or a baking tray and chill for 2 hours. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place your chilled cookie dough on parchment lined baking trays, about 3 inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- I make sure that all of my ingredients are at room temperature before I start the recipe, so pull out all of the ingredients before you start baking.
- I recommend chilling your cookies for the full 2 hours, this will make your cookies thicker and they won’t spread as much in the oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once your cookies are out of the oven, use a large circular cookie cutter and place it over the cookie. Scoot the cutter around gently, this will smooth out any edges and make your cookies perfectly round.
Nope! Chocolate chip cookies usually have brown sugar in them, while these sugar cookies just have granulated sugar.
Yes, chilling the dough means the cookies won’t spread in the oven as much.
Try these cookie recipes next!
Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup sprinkles optional
- Whisk your flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it is light and airy.
- Add your egg and vanilla extract and beat again on medium-high speed for another minute. Make sure you scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, making sure there are no streaks of flour left. Fold in your chocolate chips, and your sprinkles if you're using them.
- Scoop out the dough using a cookie scoop, about 2 tablespoons, and roll the dough into balls. Place on a plate or a lined baking tray and chill for at least 2 hours (you can leave up to 3 days though, make sure they are covered with clingfilm).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and place the chilled cookie dough on the sheets about 3 inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes, they should be slightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool for 10-15 minutes on the tray before moving to the cooling rack.