This edible sugar cookie dough recipe is perfect for cookie dough lovers!This cookie dough is safe to eat as it has no eggs in it and has heat treated flour. It only takes 7 minutes to prepare and you need just 8 ingredients!
This recipe was originally published in November 2021. It has since been updated with new images.
Let's be honest, sometimes the best part about making cookies is eating some of the cookie dough! Just like my chocolate chip cookie dough bites, this edible sugar cookie dough is safe to eat. I love adding fun sprinkles to my sugar cookie dough recipe, but you could add mini chocolate chips or mini m&ms if you prefer.
You might be wondering how this is safe to eat? Well, I don't have any eggs in it and I've heat treated flour! This sugar cookie dough is totally safe to eat and it's perfect for you if you have a sweet tooth!
Why you'll love this edible sugar cookie dough recipe!
- This super simple recipe only takes 7 minutes to prep. All you need to do is make cookie dough and chill briefly.
- This recipe is safe to eat as it contains no eggs and the flour is heat-treated. By cooking the flour beforehand we eliminate any risks.
- Switch up the color of sprinkles you use! I love using Halloween sprinkles or Christmas sprinkles!
- This makes the perfect treat for 2 people!
- Butter: I love using European style butter in my recipes, it will make the cookie dough much creamier than regular butter.
- Flour: this recipe uses all purpose flour which is heated in the oven for a few minutes. This heat treated flour will make it safe to eat and get rid of any bacteria.
- Vanilla: because vanilla is the main flavor in this recipe, make sure to use real vanilla extract - it will make a big difference!
- Milk: I used milk in this recipe but you can substitute it with heavy cream.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Pour your flour in a baking sheet or dish and bake for 5 minutes. Let it cool completely. This is going to get rid of any harmful bacteria in the flour!
Step 2: In a large bowl with a handheld mixer, beat the butter with the sugar and confectioners' sugar until soft and creamy.
Step 3: Once your flour has cooled, mix in the salt.
Step 4: Add the vanilla extract and milk to the butter mixture, and mix to combine. Pour in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir until there are no more streaks of flour. Stir in the sprinkles.
Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes, then enjoy!
Expert Tips & Tricks
- I make sure that the butter is at room temperature before I start the recipe, so take it out of the fridge about an hour before starting the recipe!
- Let the flour cool completely before adding it to the butter mixture!
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- Add fun mix-ins like mini chocolate chips, different colored sprinkles, mini m&ms, chopped up candy bars or chopped up mini pretzels!
- Make sure to chill your cookie dough before eating. If you don't, it may feel a bit grainy when you eat it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes it is! This recipe doesn't have any raw eggs or raw flour, so it is completely safe to eat.
Keep in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You may need to let it come to room temperature for a bit before digging in.
No, because it doesn't have baking soda or baking powder or eggs, this isn't going to look like a regular cookie if you bake it in the oven! This is best enjoyed just as a cookie dough instead.
Try these no bake recipes next!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C. Pour your flour into a baking sheet or tray and bake for 5 minutes. Let the flour cool completely.½ cup all purpose flour
- Pour the flour into a bowl and add the salt. Whisk and set aside.¼ teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, whip up the butter, sugar and confectioners' sugar for 2-3 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Add your milk and vanilla and mix again.¼ cup unsalted butter, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1-2 tablespoons milk, 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour in your flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold everything together.
- Add in your sprinkles and fold again. Chill for at least 20 minutes and then serve.¼ cup sprinkles