Don’t you just love eating a bit of cookie dough? It might just be my favorite part of making cookies, so you better believe that I can’t get enough of this edible sugar cookie dough! This cookie dough is safe to eat as it has no eggs in it and has heat treated flour. It only takes 7 minutes to prepare and you need just 8 ingredients.
I used some of my favorite Sweetapolita sprinkles in this recipe, but feel free to use Halloween or Christmas sprinkles! Looking for edible chocolate chip cookie dough instead? Try this recipe!
Tell me about this recipe!
- This super simple recipe only takes 7 minutes to prep. All you need to do is make cookie dough and chill briefly.
- This recipe is safe to eat as it contains no eggs and the flour is heat-treated. By cooking the flour beforehand we eliminate any risks.
- This makes the perfect festive treat, just switch up the color of the sprinkles you use.
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Butter: I love using European style butter in my recipes, it will make the cookie dough much creamier than regular butter.
- Flour: this recipe uses all purpose flour which is heated in the oven for a few minutes. This heat treated flour will make it safe to eat and get rid of any bacteria.
- Vanilla: because vanilla is the main flavor in this recipe, make sure to use real vanilla extract – it will make a big difference!
- Milk: I used milk in this recipe but you can substitute it with heavy cream.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Pour your flour in a baking sheet or dish and bake for 5 minutes. Let it cool completely.
Step 2: Pour the flour into a bowl and add your salt. Whisk together.
Step 3: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter with the sugar and confectioners’ sugar for 2-3 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
Step 4: Add your milk and vanilla and mix again briefly.
Step 5: Pour in your flour and salt mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold everything together, making sure there are no pockets of flour left.
Step 6: Fold in your sprinkles! Chill the dough for at least 20 minutes then dig in.
- I make sure that all of my ingredients are at room temperature before I start the recipe, so pull out all of the ingredients about an hour or two before you start baking.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- Make sure to chill your cookie dough before eating. If you don’t, it may feel a bit grainy when you eat it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes it is! This recipe doesn’t have any eggs in it and uses heat treated flour, making this edible sugar cookie dough safe to eat.
Keep in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You may need to let it come to room temperature for a bit before digging in.
Try these no bake recipes next!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C. Pour your flour into a baking sheet or tray and bake for 5 minutes. Let the flour cool completely.
- Pour the flour into a bowl and add the salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, whip up the butter, sugar and confectioners' sugar for 2-3 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Add your milk and vanilla and mix again.
- Pour in your flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold everything together.
- Add in your sprinkles and fold again. Chill for at least 20 minutes and then serve.