Get ready for the morning ahead with these whole wheat apple, carrot and walnut morning glory muffins! These nourishing muffins don’t require a mixer and are super easy to make. I’ve added in some substitutions if you want to try different flavour combinations.
What are morning glory muffins?
These muffins are filled with shredded carrot, apple, toasted walnuts and chopped dates. Instead of plain flour, they’re made with whole wheat flour and oat flour. These muffins are dairy free as they use vegetable oil instead of butter.
Can I substitute any of the ingredients?
If you aren’t a fan of apple and carrot muffins, here are a few substitutions you can make for these whole-wheat muffins!
- Nuts – swap out walnuts for pecans or sunflower seeds
- Dried Fruit – replace the chopped dates with raisins or dried cherries. You could also try swapping in fresh fruit like blueberries!
- Oil – swap out the vegetable oil for butter
- Vegetable – if you aren’t a fan of carrots, swap it out for shredded zucchini
- Fruit – go with fruits that are season. Take out the apple and replace with pear or crushed pineapple!
- Spices – use whatever spices you like, I think a chai spiced muffin would be great!
Tips & FAQs
These muffins are filled with apples, carrots, whole wheat flour and oats. While they’re not the healthiest thing in the world, they’re sure healthier than having a doughnut!
Yes! These muffins can be frozen in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Just thaw overnight in the fridge and heat up in the microwave if you want them warm.
Using an ice cream scoop or the same baking cup for each muffin liner is how you keep each muffin identical in weight!
Love baking for breakfast? Try these!
Morning Glory Muffin
- 1 muffin tin
- 141 grams whole-wheat flour 1 ¼ cup
- 69 grams oat flour ¾ cup
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 57 ml orange juice ¼ cup
- 149 ml vegetable oil ¾ cup
- 213 grams light brown sugar 1 cup
- 198 grams shredded carrot 2 cups
- 118 grams shredded apple 1 cup
- 57 grams toasted walnuts ½ cup
- 71 grams chopped dates ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 °F/190 °C. Place 12 muffin liners in a tin and grease the liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the two flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Add in the shredded carrot, apple, chopped dates and nuts. Stir until combined.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla and orange juice together until smooth. Pour into the dry mixture and stir together until well combined.
- Using a ⅓ cup, fill each muffin case with batter. The batter will come to the top.
- Bake the muffins for 25-28 muffins. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before you remove them from the pan to let them finish cooling.