Get ready for the fudgiest brownies ever! These triple chocolate cherry brownies are so simple to make and you don't need a stand mixer. They're studded with the most delicious cherries and chocolate chips.
These brownies are made with melted chocolate, cocoa powder and chocolate chips - triple chocolate brownies! The cherries are cooked on the stove to reduce the liquid and then folded into the batter.
Tell me about this recipe!
- There is no baking powder or baking soda in these brownies, which is what gives them such a chewy and fudgy texture
- It takes 30 minutes to prep this recipe, and this includes cooking the cherries for 10 minutes on the stove.
- You get that crackly top by mixing the sugar and eggs together for 6-8 minutes
The printable recipe card with the full list of ingredients and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
- Cherries: I used frozen cherries for this recipe. You could also use fresh cherries, just pit them and make sure you still reduce the liquid.
- Oil: use a neutral oil like vegetable, canola or rapeseed oil. This will make your brownies extra moist!
- Butter: I always use European style butter, like Kerry Gold, which has a higher butterfat content. This makes your brownies so much richer.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Place the cherries in a small saucepan with the water and begin to cook on medium heat. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes until it is bubbling. Strain the cherries in a fine mesh sieve, then place the cherries in a bowl to cool.
Step 2: In a jug or bowl, whisk the sugars, oil, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla with a hand held mixer for 6-8 minutes. You want to see small bubbles when you're done, this is what gives you a crackly crust!
Step 3: Take a small saucepan with one inch of water and place over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer. Take a heatproof bowl and place your butter and chocolate in it. Melt your butter and chocolate and then take off the heat. Whisk in your cocoa powder.
Step 4: Pour your chocolate mixture into your sugar mixture and fold into well combined. Add in your flour and salt and fold together, making sure there are no flour pockets. Take your chocolate chips and cherries, keep a handful of each to the side. Fold in the rest of the cherries and chips.
Step 5: Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan that is lined with foil, then sprinkle over the extra chocolate chips and cherries. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
Step 6: Let the brownies cool for several hours before cutting.
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- I make sure that all of my ingredients are at room temperature before I start the recipe, so pull out all of the ingredients about 2 hours before you start baking.
- Let the brownies cool until you lift them out of the pan. If you do it while they’re still too hot or warm, they will collapse when you try to take them out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can double all of the ingredients and bake it in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
You can store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. I love keeping my brownies in the fridge as I think it makes them more fudgy!
I highly recommend using a pan with light metal. Dark metal pans will cause the sides and bottom dry out faster and the texture won’t be as fudgy.
More Brownie Recipes
Triple Chocolate Cherry Brownies
- 8" square pan
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ½ ounces unsalted butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder dutch process cocoa
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups frozen cherries
- ¼ cup water
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together the cherries and water. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.Strain the cherries through a fine mesh sieve, then pour into a bowl and let them come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease an 8×8 pan and line it with aluminium foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt
- In a large bowl, place your eggs, egg yolk, sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together using a hand held mixer for about 6-8 minutes until well mixed. This is what will give you a thin crust on top!
- Place a small saucepan with about an inch of water over medium/low heat until it begins to simmer. Place a heat proof bowl over it and melt your butter and chocolate together until smooth. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Add the cocoa powder to the chocolate and whisk until smooth
- Pour the sugar mixture into the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth
- Add the flour mixture and fold, making sure there are no air pockets
- Fold in your chocolate chips and cherries, though keep a handful to the side of both the cherries and chips to sprinkle on top
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin. Sprinkle your reserved cherries and chocolate chips on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes. The top should have crackled, and a toothpick inserted will have a few crumbs on it.