Get ready to make the easiest one bowl chocolate chip banana bread! This soft and moist banana bread is loaded up with chocolate chips. It’s made in 1 bowl and you don’t even need a mixer!
I can never resist a slice of warm banana bread! This moist one bowl chocolate chip banana bread is so easy to make and all you need is a bowl, a whisk and a rubber spatula to make it. You’ll get chocolate in every bite thanks to the addition of mini chocolate chips.
With warm and cozy spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, this soft banana bread is basically like a warm hug! You can have this bread as a snack, dessert or even breakfast.
Why you’ll love this one bowl chocolate chip banana bread!
- This is a one bowl recipe, so way less dirty dishes for you to deal with!
- You’ll need simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- This is the perfect recipe to use when you have a couple of ripe bananas on your kitchen counter.
- I’ve used small chocolate chips in this banana bread. Using small or mini chips means they’re less likely to sink to the bottom of the bread while it’s baking. It also means you get chocolate in every bite!
- Butter: I’m using unsalted butter here. Measure the butter out before melting it!
- Spices: a combination of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg will give you all the cozy vibes! If you prefer you can leave those out.
- Flour: I’ve only tested this recipe with all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. To make this chocolate chip banana bread not taste too sweet, I’ve substituted some flour for whole wheat flour. I love how it tastes but you can use only all purpose flour if you prefer!
- Buttermilk: if you don’t have any buttermilk you can use sour cream or full fat yogurt instead.
- Chocolate Chips: I recommend using mini chocolate chips as they’ll be less likely to sink to the bottom. You can use regular chocolate chips if that’s all you have!
- Bananas: make sure you use ripe bananas here! They will be much sweeter and easier to mash.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large bowl melt the butter. Once it is no longer hot, whisk in the light brown sugar until smooth.
Step 2: Stir in the mashed bananas, it’ll be a little bit lumpy which is fine. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
Step 3: time to add in the dry ingredients! Pour in the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Use a rubber spatula to fold everything together until there are no more streaks of flour. Stir in the chocolate chips, but keep a small handful to the side.
Step 4: Pour the banana bread batter into an 8.5×4.5″ greased and lined loaf pan. Sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips. Bake in an oven preheated to 350°Fahrenheit/175°Celsius for 60-70 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out with no crumbs. Let the banana bread cool completely in the loaf pan.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Measuring – I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- Fluff and Sprinkle Flour – if you aren’t weighing your ingredients and are using a measuring cup, then use the fluff and sprinkle method to measure your flour. Go to this link here to find out how to do that. It’s important to have the right amount of flour in this recipe as we don’t want a dry banana bread!
- Over mixing the Batter – make sure not to over mix the batter once you add the dry ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you can just add an equal amount of regular all purpose flour if you don’t want to use whole wheat flour.
First, make sure you are using ripe bananas. Once your banana bread has been baked and completely cooled, you can tightly wrap the loaf in plastic wrap. Leaving it out will cause it to dry out!
Yes! You can slice up the banana bread and wrap them tightly in plastic. Store in the freezer and let them defrost in the fridge before eating.
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 8.5×4.5 inch loaf pan
- 1 cup bananas mashed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°Fahrenheit/175°Celsius and adjust the rack to be in the middle of the oven. Grease and line an 8.5×4.5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Once the butter is no longer hot, add the light brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk, whisking until smooth.
- Add the two flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda to the bowl. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir everything together until there are no more streaks of flour. Stir in the chocolate chips (you may wish to keep a small handful of chips to scatter on top!)
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle over reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake the banana bread in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes on the middle rack. If it begins to brown too much you can loosely cover the top of the bread with foil. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Let the banana bread cool completely in the pan before taking it out and slicing.