These soft and chewy peanut butter oatmeal bars are stuffed with so many chocolate chips! It only takes 10 minutes to prepare these thick cookie bars, plus you just need one bowl to make these.
These simple peanut butter oatmeal bars are like a mix between a blondie and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie – the perfect combo if you ask me! You’ll love these bars if you love my cookie butter blondies or my peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
This recipe is perfect for family gatherings, bake sales or potlucks! These bars are made in 8×8 pan but you can double the ingredients and bake it in a 9×13 pan if you need more.
Tell me about this recipe!
- These bars are like a cross between a blondie and a cookie bar. You have a crisp top and then a soft and chewy middle.
- The whole recipe comes together in one bowl so there is minimal clean up. That is my favorite kind of recipe!
- You can swap out the chocolate chips for butterscotch or peanut butter chips if you like.
- The oatmeal cookie batter is swirled with peanut butter just before going into the oven.
- This is a really easy recipe. The butter doesn’t need to be creamed and you don’t need a mixer.
- Flour: I am using all purpose flour in this recipe.
- Butter: I always use European style butter in my recipes.
- Oats: use old fashioned rolled oats in this recipe. I don’t recommend using quick oats or steel cut oats as that will change the texture of the cookie bars.
- Peanut Butter: I recommend using the creamy kind of peanut butter, not the kind which has oil on top. You could substitute this for another nut butter or sunbutter if you wish!
- Spices: there is a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg here, but you can substitute in your favorite spices!
- Sugar: I‘m using a combination of white sugar and light brown sugar.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Melt your butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Pour into a large bowl and let cool for a moment. Whisk in your two sugars, eggs, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
Step 2: Add your baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Fold everything together until smooth.
Step 3: Fold in your peanut butter. Finally, fold in your rolled oats and chocolate chips. Make sure everything is evenly distributed.
Step 4: Scoop the mixture out into a greased and lined 8×8 baking pan. Use a small offset spatula to spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle over some extra chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 24-27 minutes. Allow them to cool completely before removing from the pan.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- I highly recommend using a weighing scale and measuring out your ingredients the metric way. It makes a huge difference to your baking and is the most accurate way to bake!
- I make sure that all of my ingredients are at room temperature before I start the recipe, so pull out all of the ingredients about 2 hours before you start baking.
- Let the oatmeal bars cool until you lift them out of the pan. If you do it while they’re still too hot or warm, they will collapse when you try to take them out.
- Double up the ingredients and bake in an 9×13 pan if you’re baking these for a crowd!
Frequently Asked Questions
While peanut butter and oatmeal are good for you, these cookie bars are still loaded up with sugar and butter! If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast recipe, check out my baked oats for one.
Substitute in your favorite nut butter or sunflower seed butter if you aren’t able to have nuts!
Keep the sliced bars in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days. You can also microwave the bars for 10-15 seconds to make them soft and chewy again.
Try these recipes next!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- 1 8×8 baking pan
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and grease and line an 8×8 pan. You want your parchment paper to overhang as that will make it easier to lift the bars out.
- Melt your butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s melted, pour into a large bowl
- Whisk in your two sugars, eggs, salt and vanilla. Whisk until the sugars completely dissolve
- Add your baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour and fold together until there are no more pockets of flour.
- Pour in your peanut butter and mix everything together until smooth
- Fold in your oats and chocolate chips (keep a handful to the side to sprinkle on top!). Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and make sure it is spread evenly. Sprinkle over your reserved chocolate chips. Bake for 24-27 minutes. The edges should be baked and a golden brown, but the middle will still be slightly underdone. Once you take them out of the oven they will continue baking!
- Allow the bars to cool completely before lifting them out of the pan. Cut into 12 small bars or 9 large bars.