Gigi Hadid's spicy vodka pasta is creamy, rich and makes the perfect weeknight meal! This Gigi hadid pasta recipe went viral on Tiktok, and for a good reason - it is so delish! It takes just 20 minutes to make and is so easy to whip up.
Spicy vodka pasta has a creamy tomato based sauce that is finished with butter and freshly grated parmesan. I've added some Calabrian chiles to give this pasta dish a bit of a kick!
I don't tend to have a lot of alcohol on hand at home, so I've got an option for you to make this vodka pasta without vodka!
This spicy rigatoni is seriously restaurant-quality, I have been making it for months now and will be enjoying it all Fall and Winter long!
Why you'll love this spicy vodka pasta recipe!
- Spicy: This is a twist on Gigi hadid's spicy vodka pasta! Instead of using crushed red pepper flakes, I'm using a spoonful of Calabrian chiles!
- With or Without Vodka: You can make this vodka pasta recipe with or without vodka.
- Weeknight Meal: It's the perfect weeknight meal since it's ready in just 20 minutes!
- So Much Flavor: The creamy tomato sauce is bursting with flavor and is so rich.
- Dried Pasta: I'm using rigatoni, but feel free to use any pasta shape you like!
- Heavy Cream: If you're in the UK you can use double cream.
- Parmesan: I recommend grating some parmesan rather than using the pre-shredded parmesan!
- Calabrian Chile Peppers: you can find this in the jarred section of your grocery store, Trader Joe's has one called bomba sauce! Feel free to swap it out with crushed red chili flakes.
- Onion: you can use a white onion, brown onion, red onion or shallots.
- Tomato Paste: you want to add tomato paste or tomato puree, not tomato sauce!
- Vodka: not pictured here as it is optional!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large pot, boil salted water and cook your pasta according to the package directions. Scoop out 1 cup of pasta water before draining the pasta. You want the pasta to be al dente!
Step 2: In a large saucepan or frying pan with high sides, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the diced onion and garlic.
Step 3: Add the tomato paste and stir, cooking until it smells a bit toasty. This takes about 1 minute. Add the Calabrian chiles and vodka (if using) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Pour in the cream and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Add the cooked pasta to the dish along with the butter and parmesan.
Step 6: Stir everything together and if you find the sauce is too thick you can pour in some of the reserved pasta water. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, fresh basil and enjoy!
Expert Tips & Tricks
- Creamier Sauce: If you want a creamier sauce you can increase the heavy cream from ½ cup to 1 cup.
- Pasta Shapes: If you aren't using rigatoni pasta, you want to use a pasta shape that sauce can easily cling to. This could be penne, orecchiette or fusilli!
- Less Spicy: Swap out the Calabrian chile paste for red pepper flakes, or skip it altogether if you don't want your vodka pasta to be too spicy.
- Smooth Sauce: Want your spicy vodka pasta sauce to be smooth? Before adding the pasta, butter and parmesan, blend the sauce with an immersion blender or in a regular blender until smooth.
- Double the Recipe: This recipe serves 2 (generously!) so feel free to double the recipe to serve 4 for a dinner party!
In her original pasta recipe she uses shell pasta, but I prefer to use rigatoni! Use whatever pasta shape you like, just try to use one that works well with a creamy sauce.
It all depends how much of the Calabrian chiles you add to the dish! Feel free to add just a bit and taste. You can also leave it out completely if you don't want it to be spicy.
If you're adding vodka to the pasta sauce, the alcohol in the vodka will evaporate as it simmers. The vodka is just adding some flavor to the sauce!
Add some grilled chicken or shrimp for extra protein and swap out the regular pasta for whole wheat pasta!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, either reheat in the microwave until hot or heat up in a saucepan with a splash of cream until hot.
Try these dinner recipes next!
Spicy Vodka Pasta - Gigi Hadid Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ⅔ cup tomato paste or puree
- 1-2 tablespoons calabrian chiles
- 2 tablespoons vodka optional
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz dried pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook your pasta according to the instructions and drain, saving 1 cup of pasta water. Set the cooked pasta and pasta water to the side.8 oz dried pasta
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Once warm, add the olive oil. Once the olive oil starts to shimmer add the garlic and onion. Cook for 3 minutes but don't let it brown. Add the tomato paste and mix together using a wooden spoon.1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ white onion, 3 garlic cloves, ⅔ cup tomato paste
- Add the Calabrian chiles and vodka (if using), cook and stir for 2 minutes.1-2 tablespoons calabrian chiles, 2 tablespoons vodka
- Add the heavy cream and stir together, let simmer for 2-3 minutes.½ cup heavy cream
- Add the cooked pasta and toss in the butter and parmesan. Mix everything together.2 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ cup grated parmesan
- If the sauce is too thick you can drizzle in pasta water until it is the consistency you desire.