This double chocolate sour cream pound cake is crazy moist! It is stuffed with chocolate chips inside and sprinkled with chocolate chips on top. Plus, it only takes 20 minutes to make!
Tell me about this pound cake!
- Flavour: this sour cream pound cake is extra chocolatey! Not only is there cocoa powder in there, but it’s also stuffed with chocolate chips and has chocolate chips sprinkled on top.
- Texture: this loaf is extra moist due to the sour cream and super soft. The crust of the loaf though is nice and crunchy.
- How easy is it: this is a really simple recipe to make and a beginner could give it a try!
- Time: The pound cake only takes 20 minutes to make, but it does take over an hour to bake in the oven – it’ll be worth it though!
Tips on making pound cake
Here are a few tips on making super soft and moist pound cake!
- Make sure you prep all of your ingredients beforehand. You want your sour cream, eggs and butter to be room temperature. I actually take these all out (even the sour cream) the night before!
- Beat the butter and sugar longer than you think, you want it to be extra fluffy before you go to the next step.
- Use mini chocolate chips for the topping if you can find them.
What type of pan should I use?
This recipe uses a 9×5 inch loaf pan. I do recommend using a metal loaf pan, as a glass loaf pan won’t conduct heat as well. Then with metal pans you can have either a light metal or a dark metal. Dark metals get hotter quicker, so your loaf will have a harder crust. Make sure that you grease and line your loaf pan.
Filling your pan
This is an extra thick batter, so you’ll need to use a spatula to scrape everything out. Once it’s full, use a small off-set spatula to create figure-8’s in the batter – this gets rid of pockets of air. Then give it a few taps on your counter to get rid of any bubbles.
Baking your cake
Depending on your oven, the top of this pound cake might brown too fast. With a chocolate pound cake it’s harder to tell, so I would suggest putting some foil on top when you have about 20-25 minutes left of baking. This will stop the cake from browning too much on top.
How to cut perfect slices
There is nothing sadder than cutting into your pound cake and it all crumbles! Let this cake cool completely before you start slicing it.
FAQs and Tips
Keep it in an airtight container and you can keep it for up to 5 days.
Once you’ve poured the batter into the pan, use a small offset spatula to create figure-eights in the batter. This removes any air pockets, which means no giant holes when you cut your cake!
Make sure your cake is completely cool before cutting.
You can use an 8×4 inch loaf pan to make this, but fill it just three-quarters of the way. It also won’t need as much time in the oven.
Love making loaves? Try these recipes:
- Spiced Zucchini Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- Blueberry & Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
Double Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 9×5 inch loaf pan
- 1 egg
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 185 grams flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 113 grams unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 113 grams sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 85 grams chocolate chips
- 89 grams cocoa powder
- 113 grams milk
- Heat your oven to 325°F/160°C. Grease and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Take 2 tablespoon of chips to the side for later.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, cream your butter for 2-3 minutes, until smooth. Add both sugars and beat again until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat again, then pour in the sour cream, milk and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda straight into the mixing bowl, then add in the chocolate chips. Stir and fold with a rubber spatula until mixed and there are no more flour pockets.
- Pour the batter into your loaf pan, it will be pretty thick! Use a small offset spatula to make figure-8's in the batter, this gets rid of any air pockets. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of chips on top. Bake for 60-70 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the cake will come out clean.
- Cool it in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it and let cool completely.